Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Am a Rock, I Am an Island


A winter's day,
in a dark and deep December.
I am alone, gazing from my window to the ground below,
on a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.


I realized today that I needed to see the sun.   I know, I know, who am I right!?!?   But I admit it... I needed sunshine.   After really thinking about my last blog and the fact that it's been TWO WEEKS since I last saw the actual sun, it had to be done...   
Road trip!








I made the Nenana bridge at a little past noon, and the sun never made it over the mountains and clouds, but I was close!   It amuses me to read the sunrise and sunset chart and see where it says, "the sun will be directly overhead at 12:23 PM".   The sun is NEVER directly overhead these days.   


Anyway, the Nenana continues to freeze up.   It was really FREEZING being near the river.   The temperature at my house was a little over 0°, however it must have been at least -15° over the Nenana.   Brrrrr.   


I continued my drive south...





I finally managed to catch that bright orb in the sky before it set a little south of Creekside... 






I soaked up the sunlight like a sprout in the springtime!








Upon getting home after my reinvigorating sun soaking... I conquered my puzzle!   Voila!  


  
On my journey to Alaskanism I've embarked down the road of SOURDOUGH.   As you may know, sourdough played a large role in the pioneering days of Alaska.   Old time Alaskans are even known as "Sourdoughs".   I've made my first sourdough starter!   Well, it's actually my second.   My very first attempt was a fail, as I was unable to keep the starter warm enough to LIVE.  


Now, I have an active, healthy (and happy I hope) starter!   Her name is Pretty-Pretty...




I even made my first bread from her... biscuits in the shape of moose (and a blob?)...




They're not the best biscuits as I have no milk or butter or other such yummy ingredients, HOWEVER, the awesome Pretty-Pretty sourdough well made up for anything lacking:)





Sourdough is a pretty awesome pet/friend to be sure!   It's way more fun than that cat that lives with me.


I have my books,
and my blog to protect me.
I am shielded in my armor;
hiding in my room, safe within my cabin,
I touch no sunlight, and no sunlight touches me...



1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous - totally know how you feel!!! Last night I had to go out for a walk just to get some fresh air (not as fresh as yours) and only got marginally lost. :) I love love love your sourdough friends, even if you eat them. Nice puzzle, too. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete