Monday, February 13, 2012

Great Snow Balls of Fur!


Happy Valentine's Day!  From Alaska with love!


We're already pretty much halfway through February??  This month always seems to go by so fast.   Actually, it seems like every consecutive month of my life goes by faster than the last.   All I heard all summer was, "Alaska gets real cold, real fast."   Okay, ya, maybe, but now it seems as though spring is here.   It hasn't gone below 25° since I got back to Healy!


The sunsets have been pretty amazing lately.   On my way back from Fairbanks (for the second time this week) I caught the sun setting next to the Alaska range with Denali as the crown jewel.   As I drove south the sky changed to the deepest pink I've ever seen.   So hard to capture the true beauty with a digital camera...








You may be wondering why I made a second trip up north this week?   I attempted to take grumpy Ernesto to the vet for a diagnosis of his sneezy and wheezy symptoms.  I'll just say that after prescribing some antibiotics, the vet's parting words for me were, "I can't believe the shelter would adopt out that cat, he's pretty much feral!"   Pretty much...




I have however pre-adopted a little girl kitty to be both a friend to King Grump and to me.   She's coming to me guaranteed to love both other cats AND people!  Here's hoping she can be the glue to bond this feline family.   I won't be picking her up until the end of the month when I'm free of these crazy pooches...




Belle has been just what I needed to finally bond with the dog across the street.   He usually just runs up to me and barks and barks and barks.   Now, he'll play fetch with us and even let me pet him.  Love is truly in the air...




And, introducing Tilly!




She's much more zen than bouncy Belle.   Besides when she's rolling and frolicking in the snow... 


                                                                           


















To my great joy, she tried to turn herself into a snowman... sigh...





If I ever have my very own furry dog in Alaska, you better believe it's getting SHAVED.   


The pups and I have been having a great time in the backyard of the woman I'm house-sitting/dog-sitting for...










Pretty sweet backyard, huh?  


Belle is better than a goat for yard maintenance... she needs a stick!




She can get down right violent when she wants to play fetch... which is ALWAYS.   Ouch!



 








Found some real Alaskan cars out on the trail... can't wait for thaw!





With all this warm weather the huge drifts of snow are almost sturdy enough to walk on without snowshoes.   However when you fall through, you REALLY fall through.   Watch out!






In other pretty cool Sky News, last week brought an amazing full moon with Aurora.   With all the atmospheric light disturbance, it almost appears that aurora is out during the day...





There's only one more "official" month left for winter, and the Nenana is now pretty much fully frozen over.   Breakup usually doesn't occur until early May.   Don't try to tell Alaska when spring should be!







I don't know how I've gone so long without throwing a stick, but I think I better get back to it before Belle FLIPS OUT!



No comments:

Post a Comment