Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Denali High Life: Champagne of Last Frontiers


Best $2.37 I ever spent?   Hands down... Lock De-Icer.   


I got Darla Moose Mobile started today (with help from Audrey's Hair Dryer) so I could make a trip into the Park.   I stopped at the gas station to get some... gas!  In the time it took for me to pump the gas, my ignition froze again.   So while paying for my gas, I picked up some lock de-icer.   One spray from that little canister, and I was on my way!   Pretty much amazing... but... not as amazing as Alaska, and more specifically, Denali Park area...










The Nenana River is on it's way to freezing over.   She's not quite there yet though.   As I stood on the bridge taking pictures of the area, I could hear the crunching sounds as pieces of ice floating down the river would connect with the ice forming on the edges of the river.   I could watch the ice chunks melding together to soon form a solid mass across the liquid river.   


There was lots of steam rising off the river in the bitter cold sunlight.   That steam helped create some amazing hoar frost on ALL the surroundings.   It was neat:)   


I should mention, the temperatures in the area ranged from -20° to -30°.   It was COLD.  


Pretty much my favorite place on earth...



Well, not so much the trail head... but ya...






In the last picture, there's a BEAVER den right behind me.   I guess they're holing up for the winter?:)   I was REALLY tempted to try and walk out on the frozen lake, but I thought better of it (don't worry mom:)  If I wasn't alone, I'm sure I would have given it a try though...

Doesn't this this bunny track look like a bunny??


That was most definitely the most rough time I've had at Horseshoe Lake...




Brrrrrrrr...


I made it back home, where it's warm, and I caught a glimpse of the cat that lives with me...




I cooked some beans, washed my week-dirty hair, had a beer and watched the soothing azure settle over Healy...





1 comment:

  1. Dear Linsday, You're so wilderness handy !! I just read about some Kenyan UAA track athlete who was a little depressed and wandered outside and had to have his feet amputated! keep those toesies warm, yo. glad you have new slippers. Your pictures of the park == <3! love love love love. you too. love love love love. and your car for working. I have never seen little bottles of magical de icer before - would've been nice when I was trying to get into my car.... grr. anyway hello hello! good to read you're alive and quite social with beans. m love love love!

    ReplyDelete