Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring... into Beer!

Yes, it's here OFFICIALLY... SPRING!  The Vernal Equinox!  Combined with Daylight Savings Time, the days feel long and bright.   I can't even see the stars until past nine at night now.  Pretty crazy.   

So, although we've gotten more snow in the past few "spring" days than most of the winter, and it's slated to be -20° tonight... I still can't be made sad by the long winters here when I wake up and look outside to this view...


Back in Portland... I would go out to my neighborhood bar off Hawthorne Blvd, and the bartender, Kip, would have my Lagunita's Cappuccino Stout poured for me before I even made it up to the bar.   I loved the stuff.  Upon moving to Alaska, my beer choices have been a little more abbreviated.  After house sitting a while back for our home-brewing friend Steve, he asked, "Would you rather get paid in money or beer?"   We of course said beer.   One day while Steve was up in Fairbanks, he discovered a small stock of Cappuccino Stout, so he bought one to try out.   After tasting it, he proclaimed, "I can do better."   With Walt's help, he brewed up an AMAZING Coffee Stout, that in accordance with his claim, IS better than Lagunitas:)  Walt got the honor of naming the brew, which is called Cuchulain (Cu for short) in honor of St. Patty's day and the greatest of Irish heroes. 

SO, that's how I ended up with a dangerously large stockpile of beer...



Closing Shot...

While playing pool the other night, the balls ended up on the table in such a way that all the stripes were on one side, while the solids were on the other... 


P.S. I totes won this match;)

No comments:

Post a Comment