Thursday, January 3, 2013

Who Has Time for the End of the World?



 And a Happy 2013 to all!!  We made it!!  

So far life in Alaska has kept me pretty busy.

It's been non-stop crazy wind-style here in Healy.  I've been spending a lot of time house-sitting lately, so I wasn't spending the night at home.  One day I came home to find ALL of the snow and ice that had been on the roof was now surrounding the cabin!   The cats must have been pretty scared that night...






















So I set to work, and with a little muscle, and my handy "plow" I got it all cleared away...


These warm days keep stretching on and on.   While it's kinda nice to not be freezing cold all the time, it's also kinda rough having "spring time" in the middle of winter.  All the snow and ice is melting just enough to be really slippery, and I've gotten my truck stuck a couple of times now in the slush, AND it's only January!  Yikes!

So as I said before, we've been doing some house-sitting lately.   Right now we're watching a real Healy-Style house... like COAL burning style!:)  So I've gotten to try my hand at a coal boiler.   It's some good, hard work just to have a hot shower...


                The cat named, Walk-the-Plank-Matey showed me the way...
 Um, it's right this way...


                                     Well, just head that way anyway... Good Luck!

First, gotta empty the ashes out...



Next, get a fire going...


While that's heating up, gotta get the coal!



                                 Hey, so you uh, need any help?  

Thanks Planky, I think I got it!   Time to load up!   I feel like I'm on a coal train...
















Got her nice and full...


                                   WHEW, now I need one of those hot showers!


I feel more and more like a Healy-ite every day!:)





No comments:

Post a Comment