Friday, July 5, 2013

Solstice Bike Ride 2013


In 2009, which was my first summer in Denali, I was told about a fun trip to do in the Park.   To take a bicycle on the last bus into the Park, and then bike back out over night.   Since it's close to Solstice there's sunlight all night and you have a better chance of seeing animals as they come out more at night and the bike is quiet enough to not scare them away.   

That year a co-worker, Mandy, and I decided to try the trip out together.  We took our bikes on the last bus out to the Eielson Visitors Center, which is about 66 miles on the Park Road.  The ride had been described to us as being "mostly downhill".   Boy oh boy is that a poor description!   It's probably closer to half uphill and half downhill... although by mile 60 my body tells me it's more like ninety percent uphill!  Mandy and I were rained on, had to dodge huge boulders that slide off the cliff and ended up in the dark towards the end as we didn't really do the ride close enough to Solstice.   As we returned to employee housing many hours later... exhausted, sore, hungry and dehydrated... Mandy looked at me, and while smiling said, "Lindsay, you're the toughest girl I know!  We did it!"   And I said, "Mandy, YOU are the toughest chick I know!  Let's never do that again..."  

AND... next summer... I did it again:)  In 2010 I went solo, however I was more prepared, bringing more to eat, drink and wear.   I also knew the terrain a little better this time around, so I had no delusions as to the length or topography of the ride.   It was rainy and cool and just as tough, but this time I saw some wildlife... up close and personal!   There was a bear sow with two cubs at the top of Sable Pass.... RIGHT off the road.   Luckily I had just reached the top and was heading downhill, so I could get away quick enough that she barely even noticed my presence:)   Then, as I was cruising through Igloo Forest I saw a Lynx cross the road up ahead of me.   I rode up to where it had crossed hoping to get a picture of it as it disappeared into the trees.   However, as I came to a stop I see that the big cat is just sitting right by the road staring at me.   I fumbled to get my camera out, but before I could find it, the lynx started walking over to me.   I freaked out and hurriedly got my backpack on and started riding away down the dirt road.   I looked back and saw that the lynx was following me!   Not running after me, but just walking towards me.   I quickened my pace and got about 200 feet away from him.   When I stopped to look back, the cat was just sitting in the road looking at me.  Sometimes I wish I would have just stayed still when it walked over to me instead of freaking out.   Lynx aren't really anything like a lion or tiger, it probably just wanted a pet:)


In 2011 I was at it again!   I went by myself and this time I decided to start at milepost 77, increasing my ride by about ten miles.   Again, it was rainy and cold, however I did it close enough to the Solstice that there was plenty of light the entire night.   No animals graced me with their presence this time around though...


I skipped my semi-annual bike in 2012 as I was way too over worked and couldn't afford to miss a nights sleep.  What a loser, huh?:)

Now, in 2013 I completed my Fourth Semi-Annual Solstice Bike Ride!


This year I decided to start at the Toklat rest stop, at 7:20 PM, which is about milepost 53 to save myself some time and maybe get back before too late in the morning. After about two miles along I realized that my winter lethargy had definitely impacted my biking shape:)   This was not going to be easy.

Each year, besides the first, I've taken a picture at Toklat bridge.   It's kinda a tradition...

                                                 2010
                                                                          2011
                                                                          2013

This year was definitely the most warm and sunny trip through the park!

The ride from Toklat starts with Polychrome Pass which is pretty tough uphill, but gorgeous views and followed by a downhill bomb...







Part of the tough going this summer was the WIND... the head wind!  


Due to the late summer bloom this year, the fireweed and lupine and other arctic flowers were just POPPIN'.   Probably my favorite part of the whole ride:)



If you look behind the beautiful fireweed blossoms, you'll note the dead willow plants.   All along Sable Pass the willows have been killed by snowshoe hares.   The bunnies eat all the bark off of the plants in the winter, thereby killing the entire plant.   It's all part of the natural cycle though!   There is a seven year cycle with hares, lynx and willows...

When the hare are plentiful, they kill the willow shrubs due to over population.   The lynx population at this point is low, but begins to grow as they feed on the abundance of snowshoe hares.   As the years go by, the hares begin to decrease in population, and the lynx and willows begin to rebound.   Then after about seven years, the hares are at low point and then the lynx begin to die off as they have less to eat... and so on and so on.   

Pretty neat, huh?   

Anyway... back to the ride.... Sable Pass!   It directly follows Polychrome pass and in my opinion it's a tougher climb.   I began Sable at about 10:00 PM.   The sun was still shining and warm and Denali even came out, although all I could see was the very top...






 I found a bear den along the pass... no one in it these days though!:)


Finished Sable at about 11:45 PM... whew!

Now was a nice downhill cruise past Cathedral Mountain and through Igloo Forest.   No lynx this time around:(

I got to the Tek at about 12:30 AM...



At this point in the ride, I was getting pretty tired and sore and was pretty focused on just finishing up the ride.   I had about 28 more miles left.   

I reached Savage River at about 3:45 AM, with about 13 miles to go.   The sun was beginning it's morning ascent again...


The very last stretch was super tough as I was really, really sore and tired and  just thinking about my warm, soft bed:)  So, no more pics!

I swore this time around... this was IT... NEVER again... 

See you in 2014?;)

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Thanks for taking us along for the ride, Lindsay Anne. Love your comments and the pics are stunning. You are AMAZING! Great Going!! M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so awesome Linsday! eek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, oh, come on, oh, yeah...
    Well I tried to tell you so (yes, I did)
    But I guess you didn't know, as I said the story goes,
    Baby, now I got the flow.
    'Cause I knew it from the start,
    Baby, when you broke my heart...
    That I had to come again, and show you that I'm real.
    All those times I said that I love you
    (You lied to me) yes, I tried, yes, I tried
    (You lied to me) even though you know I'd die for you...
    (You lied to me) yes, I cried, yes, I cried
    it is..
    (Return of the Mack) come on
    (Return of the Mack) oh my God
    (You know that I'll be back) here I am
    (Return of the Mack) once again
    (Return of the Mack) pump up the world
    (Return of the Mack) watch my flow
    (You know that I'll be back) here I go

    So I'm back up in the game,
    Running things to keep my swing.
    Letting all the people know,
    That I'm back to run the show.
    'Cause what you did, you know, was wrong,
    And all the nasty things you've done...
    So, baby, listen carefully,
    While I sing my come-back song.

    'cause she said she'd never turn on me,
    (You lied to me) but you did, but you do...
    (You lied to me) all these pains you said I'd never feel,
    (You lied to me) but I do, but I do, do, do...
    here it is...

    (Return of the Mack) hold on
    (Return of the Mack) don't you know
    (You know that I'll be back) here I go
    (Return of the Mack) oh little girl
    (Return of the Mack) wants my pearl
    (Return of the Mack) up and down
    (You know that I'll be back) round and round
    'cause she said she'd never turn on me
    (You lied to me) but you did, but you do
    (You lied to me) all these pains you said I'd never feel
    (You lied to me) but I do, but I do, do, do
    it is
    (Return of the Mack) come on
    (Return of the Mack) oh my God
    (You know that I'll be back) here I am
    (Return of the Mack) once again
    (Return of the Mack) pump up the world
    (Return of the Mack) watch my flow
    (You know that I'll be back) don't you know
    here it is
    (Return of the Mack) hold on
    (Return of the Mack) don't you know
    (You know that I'll be back) here I go
    (Return of the Mack) oh little girl
    (Return of the Mack) wants my pearl
    (Return of the Mack) up and down
    (You know that I'll be back) round and round

    ReplyDelete