Friday, March 9, 2012

It's a Long Road Back


And... it snows on... and on... to my delight!  March was touted to be the best month of winter in interior Alaska.   The average temperature and amount of light are more tolerable than in the depths of winter, however there is still plenty of snow for skiing, sledding, mushing and such.   I heartily agree!  

My only problem with the snow now is that the clouds which create it have obscured the amazing Aurora display last night:(   There are still a couple months of potentially good northern lights viewing before summer.   
*fingers crossed*

And besides the snow... oh, the WIND!   My drive from the cabin to Tilly's house has been pretty surreal for the past few days...




The flock of red poles (which seems to grow larger every day) at Tilly's house has been having fun in the wind.   Sometimes they remind me of a swarm of insects crawling around on the ground, devouring everything in sight...




There may not be a state lottery in Alaska, however we do have the...






I've been wanting to make my guess for when the Nenana and Tanana rivers will breakup in Nenana since I first started coming up to Alaska in 2009.   I finally have my chance!   Some people are being very scientific about it, calculating the depth of the ice and the temperature for each winter month.   I figured I'm going to take my cue from old unpredictable Alaska, and just make my best random guess:)  
*fingers still crossed*


Animal activity really seems to be picking up lately.   Deep sleep be gone!   The squirrels are ready to start tearing out insulation from walls again... aren't they just adorable?







I've been perfecting my sourdough pizza while housesitting with Tilly...






She REALLY wants a taste test...




Instead of tasting pizza though, Tilly and I have just been getting out into the wilds behind her house everyday.   When the wind blows all the snow across the rocky, dry river bed it feels like walking on the moon... with a LOT of gravity!   


My puzzling has been slightly encumbered by my cute, sleepy kitty...




Until I get my puzzle table back, I 'spose it's back to hiking in the backcountry for Tilly and I...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff. Your pizza looks yummy! M.

    ReplyDelete